With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I’m finding new ways to surround myself with hearts everywhere! I think we’re all excited at the idea of heart shaped food so I just had to try my own version of baked tortilla chips — Valentine’s Dip Dye Heart Tortilla Chips!
With homemade beet juice and a heart-shaped cookie cutter, we now have the perfect Valentine’s snack. If you eat nachos as much as we do, this one’s pretty much a no-brainer. You have to try it! (here’s another food-related Valentine’s Day DIY of mine you should try.) These chips are crunchy and flavorful but kinda sorta healthy because they’re baked. If you’re hosting friends or a Galentine’s party, make yourself a huge batch of dip dye heart tortilla chips to share the love!
— tortilla shells
— heart shaped cookie cutter
— nacho fixings (avocado, salsa, cilantro, jalapeño, cheese, sour cream)
To make homemade beet juice
- Chop 1 beet into small chunks
- In pot, cover beet chunks with just enough water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, just until beets are cooked. You can see if the beets are cooked by using a fork to test the softness.
- Strain the water and use for dyeing! (Set aside the beet chunks to eat later in salads.)
To make heart nacho chips
- With a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts from a soft tortilla.
- Dip the tortilla hearts about halfway into homemade or store-bought beet juice. Set it aside on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or a cooking spray.
- Spread tortilla hearts in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Brush the tortilla chips lightly with olive oil or olive oil spray.
- Season the tortilla hearts with salt, pepper and your choice of seasonings (we like chili powder and lime juice).
- Bake until crispy and golden brown (about 8-10 minutes)
Just a cookie cutter and you’ll have piles of heart shaped tortilla chips in no time!
Don’t worry if it looks like there’s no color on the chip. The color is in there!