One of my favourite meals of all time is my Moms chicken curry and rice. I have so many memories of hearing my mom in the kitchen early on Saturday mornings and she’d spend the whole day cooking big flavourful pots of different vegetable and meat curries.
I’m Sri Lankan-Canadian so I grew up eating a lot of authentic Sri Lankan food which is very similar to Indian curries and spices if you haven’t had it. I didn’t always like eating rice and curry though, I just wanted fries and grilled cheese like my friends! But my moms chicken curry is one for the books. It was really flavourful and had a lot of spices that you don’t experience in other foods.
For years, I’ve always been intimidated to try making my own chicken curry. I guess I assumed you had to spend hours in the kitchen to make a curry like my mom did. Ain’t nobody got time for that! But you actually don’t. Hooray! I’m busting this myth because the slow cooker chicken curry I’m sharing today is easy to make and takes very little prep time. The slow cooker does most of the work here. And it tastes so similar to how my mom makes it with about half the effort.
I’ve made this dish a lot lately and tweaked it each time to make it super easy and delicious. You can adjust the spice factor by leaving out the red chili pepper flakes and green hot peppers. Or if you get sick like me, you can really amp up the spice and add a lot more. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 Chicken Breasts, skinless, boneless
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion
- 5 Carrots
- 4 Green Hot Peppers (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- Cilantro (optional)
- 1 Can (156 ml) Tomato Paste
- 1 Can (400 ml) Coconut Milk
- Dice the chicken breast into cubes.
- Chop the carrots and cube 1 tomato into bite-sized pieces.
- In a blender or food processor, combine onion, garlic, 1 tomato, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, garam masala, curry powder, tomato paste and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- In a slow cooker, place the diced chicken, carrots and diced tomato. Top it off with the blended sauce and green hot peppers if you want more spice.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours at least to allow the carrots to soften and chicken to cook through.
- Serve the chicken curry on a bed of aromatic Basmati rice and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.