The fall season means cute miniature pumpkins are popping up everywhere! Well if you love fresh flowers and miniature things as much as I do (and who doesn’t?!) DIY mini pumpkin florals are pretty much the perfect combo.
Decorating in the fall can be tricky if you don’t want orange to take over your home. Don’t get me wrong either, I love orange but in small doses so it doesn’t overwhelm a space. That’s why I love these mini pumpkin florals because they’re the perfect pop of color to add some cheerfulness to my home without going crazy. Remember to pick up seasonal flowers like mums and dahlias if you want the warm Autumn colors to really compliment each other. Finally a pumpkin carving DIY that’s actually just one cut and you’re done!
- Using a regular knife, carve out a small circle at the top of the pumpkin, about 1″. Use the stem to pull off the lid. If the circle isn’t big enough to fit a small spoon, carve the circle until it’s big enough.
- With a small spoon, scoop out the pumpkin seeds and pumpkin flesh. Make sure the bottom of the pumpkin is somewhat flat to rest a glass on.
- Cut your floral foam into a cylinder, in the shape and size of your shot glass. Prepare the floral foam according to the package instructions (usually soak for 2 minutes in a bowl of water and wait until it sinks).
- Place the floral foam into your shot glass.
- Trim your flowers so that they’re the length of your shot glass plus 1″. Arrange the flowers one by one by inserting them into the floral foam in the arrangement you like.
- Once you have the floral arrangement how you like it, place the shot glass inside the pumpkin and you’re done!
If you’ve never used floral foam before it’s actually really simple and easy to use. When you trim flowers to such a short length, the weight of the flower will make it fall out of the pumpkin without floral foam (trust me, I learned the hard way). Floral foam is a MUST and you might be able to find it at your dollar store like I did!