I can’t believe it’s already fall and Halloween is just a few weeks away! I love the new fall flavours (pumpkin spice forever!) and warm colours popping up everywhere. I’ll be honest, the last few Halloweens my costume game has been pretty basic but that’s not a bad thing! If you’re looking for a last minute couples costume or want something comfy to move around in, this Lumberjack and Tree couples costume’s for you!
As much as I like crazy costumes, I don’t have it in me to spend hours making something that I’ll only wear once. It took me a few years of stress and scrambling to finish a fancy costume before I realized Halloween is for having fun. Duh! I like easy costumes that you can put together quickly mostly made with pieces you already own. It feels great to dig around your closet to get creative with what you already own and then add a few silly accessories (read: cheap) to complete the look. That way you’re not left with giant cardboard costumes or big bulky capes that end up as junk in your house.
This year, I wanted to make a couples costume so we went with a lumberjack and a tree! It started with M’s cozy plaid jacket that’s very lumberjack-chic and even if you don’t have this exactly, most guys have at least one plaid shirt so it’s easy to throw together at the last minute! I bought myself a rust coloured cardi-dress for the tree trunk which you can get here and you’ll want to wear it again, it’s so comfy. I cheated since I’m already brown (hehe) but you can add some bronzer and dark lipstick to finish off the look. With a quick trip to the dollar store I got some supplies to make two little DIY accessories, an axe and a leaf hair wreath that I’ll share below.
+ Plaid jacket or shirt
+ Red hat
+ Fake moustache
+ DIY Axe – black foam sheet (8.5″ x 11″), scissors, wooden stick, hot glue gun
+ Optional: brown pants, boots
Directions for DIY Axe:
- Find or buy a long wooden handle (ours was about 2′ long) for a nice axe handle.
- Fold a black foam sheet in half and cut out the axe shape. I cut a rectangle with the outside edges tapering out.
- Wrap a black foam sheet around the handle and use a glue gun to attach it together and to the handle.
+ Brown dress (here’s where I got mine)
+ Brown shoes
+ DIY Leaf Hair Wreath – plain headband, faux leaves (about 15), hot glue gun
+ Optional: Brown lipstick/bronzer
Directions for DIY Leaf Hair Wreath:
- If you bought faux leaves, they may be on a stem so cut each leaf off into individual leaves, leaving a bit of the stem so you can attach it to the headband.
- Find or buy a plain headband (I went with plain black). Since I wanted to make a leaf hair wreath, hold the headband the way it would sit in your hair, kind of like a crown. Using a hot glue gun, add each leaf to the front of the headband. Layer them up and don’t worry about how the glue looks from the back – it’ll be hidden in your hair anyway.
I fully support big silly costumes and sexy costumes and whatever costume makes you feel good but for me I love an easy costume that I can wear to work and still feel comfortable in. I felt a bit like a Tree Princess with a leaf crown. We had so much fun dressing up including M who wasn’t allowed to smile because lumberjacks are serious dudes ha! For this Halloween, try throwing this easy couples costume together and spend the time and money you save having a spook-tacular time!